Excerpted from On The Dessert Trail: Around the World in Eighty Desserts by Monish Gujral, Penguin Random House India.
Pre-order your book here:
- 12 tender, juicy red carrots
- 3tbsp + 2tbsp ghee
- 25 cashew nuts, chopped
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 1/3 cup condensed milk
- 2 tbsp seedless raisins
- 5-6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 6-7 saffron strands
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 silver leaves To decorate
- Scrub the carrots well. Trim both ends and scrap off the outer skin. Grate the carrots.
- Put 3 tbsp of ghee in a heavy-based wok over moderate heat. Fry the cashew nuts, till light gold. Remove and drain on kitchen paper to absorb excess fat.
- Add the grated carrots and cook, stirring all the while, for 25 minutes. Pour in the milk and condensed milk and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally till the mixture thickens and the milk is fully absorbed.
- Add the sugar, mix well and stir for another 10 minutes, till the halwa thickens again. Mix in the remaining ingredients, including the ghee and fried cashew nuts. Cook for 5-10 minutes, till the halwa leaves the sides of the pan.
- Transfer to a serving dish, decorate with silver leaves and serve hot.