ENGLISH ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH CHEESE SAUCE
- YIELD: 6 to 8 servings (6 Servings)
Brussels sprouts need to be cooked just right as when Undercooked they can be bitter. Overcooked they turn into nasty mush. But if you cook them just right they have a tender, nutty sweetness that will make you a convert. This recipe pairs Brussels sprouts with a delicious cheese sauce in an easy-to-prepare dish
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts trimmed
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 2& 1/2 cup Milk, cream or half-and-half
- 1 & 1/2 cup Grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- to taste Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Steam the Brussels sprouts or boil them in salted water for 4 to 5 minutes, or until a sharp knife can just pierce them. Drain and rinse briefly with cool water. Drain again and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium flame. Stir the flour into the butter and let it cook and bubble for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk, cream or half-and-half all at once, stirring to remove all lumps. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 3 or 4 minutes. Remove the sauce from heat and stir in 1 cup of the grated cheese. Adjust seasoning to your taste with salt and pepper.
- Butter or grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and sprinkle the bottom with a bit of the breadcrumbs. Add the Brussels sprouts to the dish, and pour the cheese sauce evenly over them. Sprinkle the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs evenly over the top.
- Set in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the dish is heated through and the top is lightly browned.